#6 SUPPORT A GREEN ECONOMY
Promote green business and reward low impact activity.
Communities will enjoy economic benefits by proactively pursuing sustainable development and climate action strategies.
Climate action, rather than being costly and harmful to the economy, creates wide ranging savings and benefits by: spending less on energy through increased conservation and efficiency; generating significant new employment and entrepreneurial opportunities; expanding renewable energy production and distribution, and offering a wide range of new products, production processes, goods and services, and new technologies.
- The Climate Prosperity Handbook authored by the International Economic Development Council, serves as a guide to informing communities of sustainable development leading to economic benefits. The handbook demonstrates the utility of adopting the three-part agenda of the Climate Prosperity Project Green Talent.
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) - Governments can alter the economy with a broad range of tools and instruments. How does this behaviour affect the pursuit of sustainable development? See also International Institute for Sustainable Development in Canada.
- The Pembina Institute envisions a world in which our immediate and future needs are met in a manner that protects the earth's living systems; ensures clean air, land and water; prevents dangerous climate change, and provides for a safe and just global community. Our mission is to advance sustainable energy solutions through innovative research, education, consulting and advocacy. Green Economics is another good site.
- Green or Sustainable Economic Development by Paul M. Ong and Rita Varisa Patraporn (2006).'The Economic Development Potential of the Green Sector' brief contains policy recommendations on establishing a regional economic development and job creation initiative to grow the Green sector into a significant export base. The long-term goals are to capture internal and external economies of scale, agglomeration benefits, and a cutting edge market identity to develop a region as a leader for meeting the growing demand for Green jobs and services. This effort requires a rounded and balanced economic ecology that includes strengthening and increasing the number of Green vendors, suppliers and related supply chains. The Green market is projected to grow substantially both domestically and globally over the next decade.
- The Resource Renewal Institute facilitates the creation, development and implementation of practical strategies to solve the entire complex environmental problem by addressing it comprehensively. We are an incubator of transformational ideas designed to challenge and change the piecemeal way our resources are currently managed and protected.
- Green Infrastructure Planning Guide - the aim of this planning guide is to provide a method by which those interested and involved in pushing forward the development of green infrastructure planning on the ground might develop their own green infrastructure plans. It is intended to facilitate the production of geographically-based green infrastructure plans. The objective is also to provide a catalyst for discussion and for the exploration of methods of green infrastructure planning moulded to 'real world' requirements.
Please go to Page 6a for further links to Green Economy sites.